Monday, August 08, 2005

my home, my country

national day is coming up. it is on the 9th of august.

minutes ago, i was reading an article on TODAYonline. they were asking singaporeans to give a rating of the country. the result ---- an average of 7.14 out of 10. pretty not bad!!

for me personally, i would give a rating of 8. as a whole, this country has done a pretty good job. there are certain areas that i think singapore can still improve on (such as working culture and kiasuism). being in the united states has helped me to appreciate my country even more. i used to be ANTI-SINGAPORE. i hate everything about it ---the weather, the kiasu people, the loud aunties, the kan-chong lifestyle and the "everything about money" government. at that time, i'm only a singaporean by name only. i do not know how to sing the national athemm, do not know the national pledge and best of all, i will cry when i hear the national athem of america but not the one from my own country.

NOW, i do miss all the above (minus the government thingy and weather). singapore is special. my family is there, my friends are there. without my family and friends, i am nothing. i miss being part of their life, hanging out at coffee joints, eating at market full of ah-sohs, going to kopi-tiam with all the uncles shaking their legs and drinking tiger beer. all these small little things just make singapore unique. AND NOW i cry when i hear the athem of Singapore and i'm freaking proud to be a SINGAPOREAN LOH!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home